Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It is our Destiny

Yesterday was quite the crappy day but thankfully had a not too shabby end. I began the day optimistic, having some hope that I would pass my drivers exam. My hopes soon vanished after I took a practice spin with my Dad. Having almost hit his company truck I became frantic, loosing my confidence. This unfortunately resulted in a disastrous exam; screwing up a 3-point turn having to do it over and over still fucking it up, making a right hand turn and going into the left lane and the piece de resistance almost crashing the car while making an unsafe left turn. Thank God for my parents, because I came home in quite a state. My Mom took me out to Blockbuster which of course made me feel better and to Wendy's for burgers. I rented "Gandhi", "Terms of Endearment" and "Slumdog Millionaire", a pretty successful trip if I do say so. I came home feeling a bit more optimistic after a pep talk from Mom and Dad, reassuring me that I'm not the biggest moron in the world and decided it was definately the night for a great underdog story. My Mom, sister and I watched "Slumdog Millionaire" all huddled in front of the TV.
This film tells the story of a young Indian boy who grew up in the Slums of Mumbai. Our Hero Jamal Malik (Dev Patel) wins the chance to compete in India's version of 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire' and surprises everyone as he answers every question correctly. What audiences don't know is that each answer is connected to pivotal moments in Jamal's incredible life. From young Jamal's (Ayush Mahesh Khedekar) and his brother's (Azharuddin Mohammed Ismail) escape from the slums to Jamal's encounter with the love of his life, Latika (Freida Pinto). This is not only an incredible journey through a young man's life but an amazing perspective on life and people of Mumbai, India.
This is a unique story; you can't help but root for Jamal as he wins the game. After a bit of a confusing beginning the movie jump starts becoming quick paced until the very end. As viewers we are transported into a corrupt world where money is absolute and its difficult to trust anyone. The footage of not only the slums, but of the Taj Mahal and metropolitan Mumbai is raw and realistic. Life living in the slums couldn't look any more real as director Danny Boyle cast actual children from the slums to play the central characters as children. Jamal's constant devotion to searching for his lost childhood friend and great love is deeply felt. One of the most moving moments is when both finally meet again after being seperated by Jamal's brother. Thankfully the story ends on a happy note with additional Bollywood style song and dance as the credits roll. Who doesn't love a great underdog story?

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a good movie. shitty about your drivers test though, i failed it twice so don't worry about it!

    ReplyDelete