Friday, February 26, 2010

All Good Things to Those Who Wait...

Yesterday was quite the busy day. My first day into this challenge I watched 'Wings' last night at 1 am for the first time. This is a movie I've always wanted to see; especially after watching my first Clara Bow film, "It" which is a fantastic silent film! SEE IT!
"Wings" is set in the year 1917 and tells the story of a young man named Jack Powell, played by Charles "Buddy" Rogers, and his dreams of becoming a fighter pilot. It starts out with Jack busy at work on a car he intends to fix to impress Sylvia Lewis (Jobyna Ralston) a fancy girl from the city who is actually in love with David Armstrong played by Richard Arlen a young man from a rich family. Helping Jack on this noble endeavour is his childhood pal and neighbour Mary Preston (Clara Bow) who is also secretly in love with Jack. Soon after war breaks out in Europe and Jack and David enlist. Enemies at first Jack and David soon get to know each other and become friends. Back at home Mary becomes anxious worrying about Jack and decides to enlist in the Women's Motor Corps to be closer to him. As these courageous comrades take to the skies and the ground tragedy strikes.
This movie was actually pretty long, almost 3 hours! Quite unheard of, especially for a silent film. However, the adventure and action are constant as the pilots are actual filmed in the air. The emotions are raw; from the tender moment when Mary tries to nurse Jack to the moment when Jack realizes the horrific mistake he has made. Even more facinating were the dramatazations of World War 1 battlefeilds which feature actually tanks, horses and trenches. The only negative thing I can say about it is I did not enjoy watching it with the awful organ score featured on the particular copy I watched. I was often tempted to mute the sound and play a classical music CD.

This evening I watched 'The Silence of the Lambs'...my first time seeing it. I know, I know...how could I have not seen it? I actually had some luck today; while at the public library I stumbled upon a cassette copy of the movie in the library book sale. Of course this video fulfilled the strange phenomenon of the library B.O smelling cassettes. Whenever I borrow a cassette from the public library as soon as I take out the cassette from the case it smells overwhelmingly like really bad body odor. Strange as it seems this happens every time. Luckily I didn't have to take it out! My sister (thankfully) chose to watch the movie with me. This was comforting as I have a perpetual fear of psychological thrillers. After watching one I often end up lying awake in bed thinking about it. I end up freaking myself out at the possibility of some freak/ psychopath watching it and getting ideas for his next murder. But surprisingly I was more impressed then creeped out by this film.
It begins with an F.B.I cadet named Clarice Starling played by Jodie Foster who is asked to interview Dr. Hannibal Lecter, a notorious cannibal/ serial killer and former psychiatrist played by Anthony Hopkins. The interview thus leads to H.L. (Hannibal Lecter) revealing that he has information on the identity of a mysterious serial killer on the loose who skins his victims after murdering them. The plot thickens as Clarice begins to trust H.L. as he leads her straight to the killer.

I have to say Sir Anthony Hopkins is quite the gifted actor. There was just this slithery, twisted quality to Hannibal Lecter that just reverberated off him...he became the psychopath. He could say nothing and you would just know that something was not right with him. The story as well, was astonishing. Coming from the novel "The Silence of the Lambs" written by Thomas Harris, it was adapted for film making the character of Hannibal Lecter more prominent then the previously written Red Dragon books. The connections made between Clarice and the recent murder although seem meaningless at the time become connected through the tale of Clarice and the lambs at her cousin's ranch. As viewers we become Clarice in her search for answers; as the story comes to its climax I'm at the edge of my seat as the plot twists to reveal the killer standing before her. The ending was in itself a feast for the imagination, leaving me thinking...so where does our Hannibal Lecter go from here?

No comments:

Post a Comment